As progressive as we like to think we were in 2021, Men's physical and mental health is a topic that often gets brushed under the carpet even today. According to the World Health Statistics report of 2021, the lifespan of women in India is three years longer than that of men on average. While women have their health challenges, it is equally important for us to focus on Men's Health issues.
Men's health must be dealt with equal importance, empathy, care, and compassion as women's. Experts opine that the main causes behind the shorter lifespan in men than women are:
- They are more likely to engage in unhealthy habits like smoking and drinking alcohol
- Do not seek medical attention when they should
- They are more likely to engage in strenuous activities
- They less likely to adopt preventive health habits
- They are usually embarrassed to talk about their health issues
Men's Health Issues in Today's World
In today's fast-paced world, men are often found ignoring certain health issues, which can become fatal in the future if not taken care of. Some of the major health concerns that men generally ignore are:
- Iron deficiency: Feeling tired, having pale skin, and dizziness are some major symptoms of this disorder
- Vitamin deficiency: Ignoring vitamin deficiency may weaken the immune system and cause depression and memory problems.
- Obesity: It occurs because of an unhealthy men's diet pattern.
- Liver issues: Obesity, diabetes, and excess alcohol consumption are some of the major causes of liver problems.
- Cholesterol: If not taken care of, it can lead to heart diseases.
- Depression: Men's mental health should be taken as seriously as their physical health.
- Prostate Cancer: Prostate cancer begins when cells in the prostate gland start to grow out of control. Women do not have a prostate gland, and thus prostate cancer affects only men. Watch out for symptoms like frequent urination, blood in urine, interrupted urine flow, etc.
- Liver Cirrhosis: Men are more susceptible to suffer from Liver Cirrhosis because of their frequent and extreme drinking habits. It causes liver scarring and affects the proper functioning of the liver. Some of the most common symptoms of liver cirrhosis are fatigue, loss of appetite, unexplained weight loss, etc.
- Heart Diseases: According to the National Health Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, men are more susceptible to heart diseases than women. This is caused by excess drinking and stress and because men are always at a higher risk of developing high blood pressure, heart muscle damage, and obesity. These conditions can lead to heart failure, stroke, etc. Common symptoms include fatigue, chest discomfort, dizziness, nausea, etc.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): This is a chronic condition of the lungs that occurs due to obstructed airflow from the lungs. COPD can become life-threatening if not treated on time. Smoking is the main cause of developing COPD in men. The Main Signs of COPD include shortness of breath, a chronic cough, unexplained weight loss, etc.
Tips for Managing Weight, Stress and other Concerning Habits
Men, as mentioned above's health issues can occur in men's life stages. However, most of them can be easily prevented by making a few lifestyle changes.
So, regardless of your age or general health, to improve men's health, incorporating these Ayurvedic lifestyle practices and Satvic Foods men's diet plan can make big improvements:
- Improve the quality of your sleep: Go to bed early and give your body the rest it needs. Sleep deprivation causes physical exhaustion and can also deplete the brain and increase the stress level of the body.
- Incorporate a bedtime routine: Have a glass of Turmeric milk or Cinnamon milk an hour before bed. If you do not have the time or resources to make them every day, try Satvic Foods Golden Milk Masala, Cinnamon Doodh Masala. The medicinal herbs in these drinks will help you sleep better and boost your immunity.
- Take time out to De-Stress: Put down your phone or other electronics, turn off the television for at least an hour before sleep every day. Read a book, meditate, spend time with loved ones. Just relax and let go. This is immensely helpful in managing stress.
- Stay hydrated: Have 2-3 liters of water every day. By water, we do not mean just plain water. Fresh juices and masala teas, and coffees work just fine. You can mix Satvic Foods' Kadak Chai Masala, Coffee Spice Mix to your regular tea or coffee anytime you want to add flavor to your beverage while getting your daily anti-oxidants.
- Say no to Alcohol and Cigarettes: Excessive smoking and alcohol increase the risk of developing cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, liver, and colon.
- Get Active: Sedentary lifestyle is the main cause of obesity in men. So, getting at least half an hour of exercise every day is imperative, no matter how busy you are. By exercise, we do not mean going to the gym to build muscles. Instead, focus on building flexibility, vital for skeletal and muscular health, and combating back pain. Yoga and Pilates are the best ways to improve flexibility.
- Satvic Foods men's diet: Eat homemade foods. Use natural ingredients while preparing them, and be mindful while eating. Chew your food properly. Focus on getting most of your food during breakfast and lunch, when digestion is strongest.
- Eat healthy snacks: It is very tempting to have some fried savories after a long day at work. Even if they are bad for health, they taste good and are easily available. To save you from this unhealthy snack pattern, we bring to you Satvic Foods' Protein Dry Fruits Ball, a popular meal replacement protein-rich bar with a convenient source of nutrition from almonds, cashews, walnuts, dates, and several natural seeds. These seeds provide essential nutrient that keeps you going throughout the day.
- Take care of your mental health: According to Researchers at The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)Trusted Source, at least 6 million men suffer from depressive disorders, including suicidal thoughts, annually. If you feel low or have self-doubts, talk to your loved ones or seek professional guidance. Remember, when it comes to men's health, their mental health is as important as their physical health.
- Go for regular check-ups: The best way to adopt preventive health habits for men's health is to go for physical or wellness screenings. Even if you are ok, get your cholesterol, glucose, and blood pressure evaluated now and then.
- Do not ignore symptoms: Seek immediate professional guidance if you notice any changes in your sleep or bathroom habits, have a cut or sore that does not seem to heal, notice changes in your moles or birthmarks, or if you are experiencing unexplained weight fluctuations. Many significant health issues may begin as minor problems but can be easily prevented if detected early.
- Take a break: Go for holidays, spend time with family, catch up with some old friends or simply take a break to just Netflix and chill. It is important to take a break once in a while and enjoy the little things.
- Have a positive mindset: Develop a habit of focusing only on the positive sides of life. Practice meditation to calm the mind and be grateful for all that you have
- Practice proper hygiene routine: Lack of proper grooming and hygiene practices can often lead to skin conditions like allergies, acne, eczema, and psoriasis. Hence grooming and hygiene must be adopted as daily habits.
Taking care of Men's health is important
The stigma around men's health in India has roots that go generations deep. Our society considers men the physically stronger gender and ceases to acknowledge that they are also human and just as prone to vulnerabilities as women.
Men's health in today's world must be given equal importance and a similar platform to that of women. Ignoring men's health issues will make men more prone to chronic diseases and mental setbacks. Men, too, should be entitled to sick leaves when they are not physically at their best or encouraged to talk about their mental health when they feel low.
According to an article by Bella Family Healthcare, early detection, preventative health measures, and healthy life habits can help obtain the best results when it comes to men's health. This, in turn, lets them enjoy a longer, happier, healthier life. So, no matter how old you are or your health condition, take charge of your health now. Remember, it is never too late to develop a healthy lifestyle.
This article aims to highlight men's health issues, and we hope these Ayurvedic lifestyle practices and Satvic Foods men's diet plan can make big improvements in men's health in today's society.